Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm Not Ready

Saturday afternoon I attended the annual University of Alabama A-Day Game. It was a good time as usual. Your average person might not be interested in a Spring scrimmage game, but ever since I was released from the trap of working virtually every weekend, I have been trying to soak up as much time at Bryant-Denny as possible. Last year, over 92,000 fans showed up and literally packed the stadium. The crowd this year was not as big, but it was still better attended than most of the years I remember going as a kid. It was nice to relax, eat some Nachos, catch up with friends, and of course see how the team is shaping up for the upcoming season.


Sunday afternoon, I hopped in a car with my friends David and Ian. We trekked to Jackson, MS to see Modern Life Is War on their final tour. Downtown Jackson looked like a ghost town. It reminded me of Northside in Birmingham. The show looked like it was the only thing going down in the entire city. We grabbed some Taco Bell during most of the first band's set, and hung out until MLIW played. I secured a spot up front. Here are some pictures I snapped before the night took an interesting turn.


The band launched into "Breaking The Cycle" about 5 songs into the set, and by the end of the song, I was on top of the crowd you see in the photo. My right shoulder snapped out of place again, and I was luckily able to get down and check it out. I attempted to push it back into place (I have been able to do before), but this was a different kind of pain. David rushed me to the hospital and I waited it out. It was dislocated fully and I had to be put under for a couple of minutes for it to be put back into place. I woke up to the Doctor talking to me about a sling, very confused, not realizing that the sling was already on my arm. From where David and Ian were sitting, it was hysterical for sure. Here are the results of the evening (Note the "XFL" hand stamp from the show. That's one I've never seen before):



On the way back home, we toyed with the idea of driving to Memphis for their show the next night, but by the time we had arrived home, we decided against it for numerous real world reasons. It was definitely for the best since I felt like warmed over shit the next day, but I can't say that I'm not a little bummed on not getting to see them play a full set before they call it a day. I'm glad I have great friends who would sacrifice something like that to take my wild ass to the hospital more than anything, though. Cheers to them, and to MLIW for being a band who did whatever the fuck they wanted with their music. What can I say? Punk Rock will make you do some crazy things. I'm itching for a bike ride, but it will be a little while before I can go on another one.

No comments: